A Black Hills Landmark Reincarnated.
One of the very best restaurants in all of the Black Hills is affiliated with the historic Black Forest Inn near Pactola Lake off highway 385 between highway 44 and the Three Forks intersection. Named Musekamp’s Grill & Pub to honor its original founder, it offers a simple but delicious menu. Indeed, there are just six main plates, including a cheeseburger, fish tacos, chicken & waffles, trout, cajun pork chop and hand-carved NY steak. But each is uniquely prepared and cooked to perfection.
Like the menu, the restaurant itself is simple but nicely designed.
Though the restaurant is relatively new it was reincarnated from one that began in 1914 as part of Moose Camp Park by one of the Hills’ most colorful characters – Bernice Musekamp. Having never cooked before, Bernice cooked 24 hours in advance to give her enough time to throw her mistakes to the chickens. Eventually, she earned a reputation for good, home-cooked food.
The latest version of the restaurant has improved on what Bernice started to a degree she could never have imagined. So, too, has the inn, which originally opened in 1953. It’s now a B&B with seven beautifully-appointed cabins. All of the cabins are furnished with lovely antiques…even handmade quilts.
For more information, visit http://musekamps.com or www.blackforestinn.net.